- 2016 TXMMA Awards – BJJ Edition Voting Ballot
- XKO Amateur Series 3 – Quick Results and Highlights
- Cage Combat 27 – Results and Recap
- Austin-based Muay Thai fighters make waves at Ascension Tourney
- Story on never giving up and some advice for new competitors
- Fury Fighting Championship 13 – Results and Recap
- 60 Highlight Photos of Fight to Win’s San Antonio BJJ Superfights
- Fort Worth’s Derek Perkins Promises Electricity at XKO 33
- Middleweight Title Fight Headlines Saturday night’s XKO 33
- After robbery led her to BJJ, Chelsah’ Lyons hasn’t looked back since
Jackson and Mowles put on show, Dern stays undefeated at LFC 61
- Updated: October 17, 2016
By TXMMA Staff
Dern wins with crazy submission, Jackson returns to org with a win at Legacy FC 61
DALLAS, TX – Despite a last-minute shakeup to the main card, Legacy FC 61 went off last Friday night at the Bomb Factory and it was a highly entertaining card for the Dallas MMA crowd and those watching on cable via AXS TV.
The main event of the evening saw former Legacy FC 145 champion and more recently UFC vet Damon Jackson return to Legacy FC with a unanimous decision win over late replacement Levi Mowles. “The Leech” was supposed to take on 145 champ Kevin Aguilar for the belt before an injury forced “The Angel of Death” out of the planned defense. His replacement Mowles has significantly less pro experience but proved himself a worthy regional contender and likely UFC prospect sooner rather than later with his entertaining and competitive performance against the former champion. For his part, Damon fought well also, securing the decision with a pair of timely takedowns in rounds one and three or the main event bout. With this one now behind them, look for more out of both in the near future including Jackson taking on Aguilar for the belt and Mowles coming back for some big fights of his own now that he’s proven himself at the top of a main card.
Elsewhere at LFC 61, BJJ world champ Mackenzie Dern brought her pro record up to 2-0 with a first round victory over local prospect Montana Stewart. Dern would waste no time in this one once it hit the ground, transitioning from several sub attempts and finishing with a combination omo plata and RNC finish – possibly the first time we’ve seen this “rear-naked choke-a-plata” in a Legacy FC cage.
Other impressive main card winners at Legacy FC 61 included 3 bouts that ended in a minute and a half or less with much-hyped prospect Abdul Razak Alhassan, Rashad Coulter, and Rob Butler all taking home KO/TKO wins over Jos Eichelberger, Jeremy Hardy, and Takayuki Iijimi respectively.
Check out the highlights and complete results below:
Legacy FC 61 Results
Main Card (AXS TV)
- 145 lbs.: Damon Jackson def. Levi Mowles via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 29-28)
- 115 lbs.: Mackenzie Dern def. Montana Stewart by submission (RNC) at 3:25 in RD1
- 175 lbs.: Abdul Razak Alhassan def. Jos Eichelberger by TKO (punches) at 0:57 in RD1
- 265 lbs.: Rashad Coulter def. Jeremy Hardy by KO (punch) at 1:11 in RD1
- 170 lbs.: Melvin Jordan def. Bilal Williams by submission (RNC) at 4:59 in RD2
- 145 lbs.: Rob Butler def. Takayuki Iijimi by TKO (punches) at 0:25 in RD1
Amateur Undercard (Untelevised)
- 135 lbs.: Dylan Ashburn def. Devin Miller by TKO, RD3
- 145 lbs.: Austin Lingo def. Austin Wilson by TKO, RD1
- 125 lbs.: Victor Altamirano def. Rashaad Robinson by Majority Decision
- 135 lbs.: Charles Williams def. Khristian Monnreal by Split Decision