By TXMMA Staff
Ricky Turcios remains undefeated following FFC 9; Rookies Ceja & Gay impressive in professional debuts
HUMBLE, TX – Garcia Promotions opened up the year in Houston MMA with a 14 fight card art the Humble Civic Center this past Friday, Feb. 15th. Fury Fighting Championship 9 was headlined by a flyweight clash pitting undefeated Ricky Turcios of GB Woodlands vs. 4OZ Fight Club’s Akira Smith. The two went at it for five hard rounds with Ricky coming out the victor via decision. The deciding factor in this one were his takedowns and cage control in an otherwise exciting striking affair.
In the co-main event, “Hurricane” Ike Villanueva put an empathic stamp on his latest comeback with a walkout knockout win over veteran Sam Mohamed early in the first round of their bout. Other big winners included veteran Jon Kirk finishing Levi West by submission in the second round of their bout after losing the first and Cameron Graves beating a game Delis Borges by decision to stay undefeated as a top area prospect.
Other fighters who looked great included both Jose Ceja and Nicholas Gay. Both won their debuts in impressive fashion over some tough vets in Gerzan Chau and David Armas respectively. Jake Heffernan also looked strong in his debut, continuing GB Woodlands streak of producing high caliber fighters with his second round submission of Adonis Saucedo.
Check out the complete results and photo highlights below:
Fury Fighting Championship 9 – Quick Results from February 15, 2016
- Ricky Turcios def. Akira Smith via Decision
- Isaac Villanueva def. Husam Mohamed via KO, RD1 1:08
- Jon Kirk def. Levi West via Submission, RD2 0:15
- Cameron Graves def. Delis Borges via Decision
- Juan Torres def. Gary Harling via Submission, RD1 1:27
- Jose Ceja def. Gerzan Chau via Decision
- Nicholas Gay def. David Armas via Decision
- Daniel Heffernan def. Adonis Saucedo via Submission, RD2 1:06
- Leroy Vasquez def. James Gonzales via Submission, RD1 1:01
- Arthur Ashton def. Joshua Wilson via Submission, RD1 1:07
- Josh Altum def. Timothy Messer via Submission, RD 2:24
- Johnny Lovings def. Jordan Chesser via Decision
- MIke Trevino def. Matthew Morris via TKO/RSC, RD2 2:03
- Logan Eckert def. Fred Zamora via TKO/RSC, RD1 0:11
Fury Fighting Championship 9 – Select Photo Highlights